Bestselling paranormal author Steff Green (AKA Steffanie Holmes) joins us on the podcast this week to discuss her writing career and her unique Skeleton Drafts writing process. Steff also talks to us about her writing community, Rage Against the Manuscript, revitalizing her blacklist, and what it’s like navigating the publishing world as a legally blind author.
- Steff tells us how her writing career got started, why she chose to publish indie and how Kobo inspired this decision, and she explains how she quit her day job to focus on writing full time
- She talks to us about her writing process, which includes starting with a skeleton draft of her story and building it into a full novel, and she tells us why she tends to write longer series
- Steff tells us about a series she recently repackaged to go wide, which included updating both the titles and covers, and she discusses why it’s important to revisit older titles and how being able to do so is an advantage indie authors have over traditional publishers
- She discusses her release strategy, which is a mix of exclusive and wide, and she explains why she believes releasing titles wide is the only viable long-term strategy
- Steff tells us what it’s been like navigating the publishing world as a legally blind author, and she talks to us about the exciting push toward diversity, inclusion, and accessibility in publishing
- She discusses her writing community, Rage Against the Manuscript, which offers advice, courses, and a podcast to help aspiring indie authors “inject a little punk rock into their careers”
- Steff tells us what she’s working on next, including a series inspired by a recent trip to Romania, a new spin off series, and a new book in a genre outside her comfort zone
Follow Steff on Facebook and Instagram
Rage Against the Manuscript
Rage Against the Manuscript Podcast
The Briarwood Witches
Priest by Sierra Simone
Steffanie Holmes is a USA Today bestselling author of the paranormal, gothic, dark, and fantastical. Steff received the 2017 Attitude Award for Artistic Achievement, and was a finalist for a 2018 Women of Influence award. Her books are enjoyed by thousands of readers all over the world.
Steff is also the creator of Rage Against the Manuscript, an online community for writers to learn about self-publishing, finding their readers, and building a badass author brand. Steff’s passionate about helping authors from all walks of life find their voice and tell their story.