Author and co-host of the Six Figure Author podcast Lindsay Buroker joins us on the podcast this week. Lindsay has been an indie author for almost a decade, and she talks to us about how the industry has changed over that time and where she thinks it’s going next, and she tells us about her Patreon and how she utilizes the platform to distribute ARCs and reward her fans.
- Lindsay talks to us about her journey to indie publishing including how she started writing and what (and who) inspired her to go the indie route
- She discusses what it’s been like creating audiobooks for her novels, including the challenges she faces turning her epic fantasy novels into audiobooks, and how having both eBooks and audiobooks can open up your possible market
- Lindsay explains how she evolved from a pantser to a plotter, and how she plans out her individual books compared to how she plans out a series
- She discusses how she balances being both a wide and an exclusive author, when she uses the exclusive platform, and how she keeps readers on both platforms happy
- Lindsay tells us about her Patreon including why she started using the platform, how she utilizes it to reward readers and help her writing business, and she gives some great advice for indie authors who are considering starting their own Patreon
- She gives us some great advice for both newer and veteran authors, discussing the pros and cons of writing to market, why free first in series can be a great tool in the genre writers toolbox, and who she looks to for new indie publishing trends
Six Figure Author Podcast
Follow Lindsay on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Subscribe to Lindsay’s Fantasy or Sci-Fi (or both!) Newsletter
Heritage of Power
Novel Marketing Podcast
The Creative Penn
The Skeptic’s Guide on YouTube
Lindsay is a full-time independent fantasy and science fiction author who loves travel, hiking, tennis, and vizslas. She’s written over seventy novels, appeared on the USA Today bestseller list, and has been twice nominated for a Goodreads Readers’ Choice Award. She grew up in the Seattle area but has itchy feet and moves every couple of years. When she’s not writing, Lindsay can be found ferrying her dogs to hiking trails for adventures.