Author Abbigail N. Rosewood joins us on the podcast this week to discuss her debut novel, If I Had Two Lives, and the real-life inspiration behind the story. Abbigail also discusses how she benefited from her MFA in creative writing beyond improving her craft, including gaining a built-in writing community and getting more comfortable with sharing her work.
- Abbigail tells us how she fell in love with the English language after immigrating to the US, and how that led to a love of writing
- She explains that while her debut novel is inspired by her life, creating fiction gave her much more freedom and allowed her to fill in gaps that remain in her own childhood
- Abbigail takes us through the process of writing her first novel, from workshopping in her Creative Writing MFA program to querying agents to publication
- She discusses how her MFA helped her not only become a better writer, but how it gave her a writing community and the ability to trust other people with her work
- Abbigail tells us about the process of creating the trailer for her book, and whether or not she’d consider a film adaptation of If I Had Two Lives