This episode is a special recording of our Facebook live event with David Gaughran.
- David talks about why he turned to self-publishing and why he first started indie publishing by experimenting.
- He talks about the conferences he finds the most useful for learning ways to improve his marketing and writing.
- David discusses the way authors can improve their sales on Kobo:
- Make sure to include links to all retailers on your website for readers.
- Use the promotional tools available on the KWL dashboard every couple of months.
- BookBub ads rather than Facebook ads, are one of the best ways to target Kobo readers.
- David provides his tips for a new author to reach an audience and generate more sales:
- Smaller markets like Australia or New Zealand, are less saturated with ads so 0.99 deals have more traction in these markets.
- Putting a book as perma-free is a great and proven tactic and an advantage you have when you’re not exclusive.
- He talks about Facebook ads and while people say that these ads are less effective, he has not experienced this decline in engagement.
- David also discusses strategies authors can use when creating their marketing budget for advertising.
BookBub Ads Expert: A Marketing Guide to Author Discovery
David Gaughran lives in Dublin, where the rain comes up from the ground and everyone has pints for hands. He is the author of the historical adventures Liberty Boy, Mercenary & A Storm Hits Valparaiso, and has helped thousands of authors to self-publish their work via his workshops, blog, and books such as Let’s Get Digital, Let’s Get Visible, Amazon Decoded, and Strangers to Superfans. He has been featured in the Telegraph, the Irish Times, the Guardian, the Irish Examiner, the Sunday Times, Huffington Post, Business Insider, Forbes, Mashable, New York Observer, Newsweek Polska, il Giornale, The Star Malaysia, and a smattering of Wanted posters.