In this episode, Stephanie and Marina interview USA Today best-selling author Nana Malone. Nana talks to us about her writing journey and how adapting and changing her marketing and writing process has allowed her to continue self-publishing for close to a decade. Nana also talks about how the royal wedding between Meghan and Harry affected her Royals Undercover series and why she loves writing romance.
- Nana tells listeners about her writing journey and how she got her start as a writer.
- Nana outlines her writing process and how her method is to dictate a draft which allows her to complete a draft in 5 to 10 days depending on length.
- When she dictates it also allows her to turn off her editing braining and allow her to just get the story out.
- Nana talks about the reality check she received when she got her first royalty cheque from her publisher and how she ended up self-publishing her other titles.
- In her first week self-publishing in 2013, she had already more money than her traditional published title.
- Self-publishing allowed her to exert control over her books which greatly appealed to her as having this control allowed her to market books appropriately.
- Nana talks about why she chooses to diversify her income and why she is a big advocate for going wide.
- Nana talks about her Royals Undercover series and as a woman of colour writing women of colour, Meghan and Harry’s wedding prompted her to write a story she has been thinking about for 8 years.
- And more!
Nana’s Latest Release:
Kobo Emerging Writer Prize https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/p/emergingwriter
Cheeky Royal (Royals Undercover #1): https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/cheeky-royal
Game, Set, Match by Nana Malone: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/game-set-match-6
Hoops by Kennedy Ryan: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/audiobook/long-shot-32
Twitter: @NanaMalone https://twitter.com/NanaMalone
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nanamalonewriter/Why @nanamalone chose to turn to self-publishing Click To Tweet
USA Today Bestselling Author, Nana Malone’s love of all things romance and adventure started with a tattered romantic suspense she borrowed from her cousin on a sultry summer afternoon in Ghana at a precocious thirteen. She’s been in love with kick butt heroines ever since.