In this week’s episode, Stephanie and Laura sit down with New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Shayla Black. Shayla chats about celebrating 20 years in publishing, how she got her start in the indie world, and how she manages to balance the business side of writing.
- She explains how she got started with romance writing—from stumbling across her first romance novel in a used bookstore, to becoming a queen of the genre!
- As a hybrid author, she explains how self-publishing has changed the landscape and provided more freedom than traditional publishing.
- She also ruminates on the downside of self-publishing—the mad rush to get books out quickly and the fact that authors are essentially learning to write in public, with less time to hone their craft.
- Shayla talks about the business side of being an author—how her corporate background has shaped how she runs her author business, and why she has to delegate certain tasks to other people.
- In true #KWLWonderWoman style, Shayla pulled her husband out of his job and brought him to work for her, along with their 21-year-old daughter, who also has a hand in the business.
- She also explains how she navigates social media and creates relationships with people via Facebook and via her live “Wine Wednesdays”.
- Shayla shares how she keeps her backlist fresh and interesting with cover redesigns and updated back matter.
- She explains she uses video games to unwind and which games she recommends for newbie gamers
- She also gives some insight into her newest release, More Than Crave You, which is a fresh new take on a traditional romance story.
- And lots more on the podcast! Let us know what you think in the comments!
Shayla Black is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than sixty novels. For twenty years, she’s written contemporary, erotic, paranormal, and historical romances via traditional, independent, foreign, and audio publishers. Her books have sold millions of copies and been published in a dozen languages.
Raised an only child, Shayla occupied herself with lots of daydreaming, much to the chagrin of her teachers. In college, she found her love for reading and realized that she could have a career publishing the stories spinning in her imagination. Though she graduated with a degree in Marketing/Advertising and embarked on a stint in corporate America to pay the bills, her heart has always been with her characters. She’s thrilled that she’s been living her dream as a full-time author for the past ten years.
Shayla currently lives in North Texas with her wonderfully supportive husband, her daughter, and two spoiled tabbies. In her “free” time, she enjoys reality TV, reading, and listening to an eclectic blend of music.