In this episode, Chrissy chats with authors Rachael Herron and J. Thorn from the Writer’s Well podcast (formerly The Petal to the Medal podcast). Rachael and J. discuss their writing and revision processes and how they got into self-publishing. J. talks to us about the conception for his Author on a Train event and why he loves to collaborate.
In this episode, Chrissy chats with authors Rachael Herron and J. Thorn from the Writer’s Well podcast (formerly The Petal to the Medal podcast). Rachael and J. discuss their writing and revision processes and how they got into self-publishing. J. talks to us about the conception for his Authors on a Train event and why he loves to collaborate. Rachael and J. also give us tips on battling self-doubt and how to stay motivated when you are 30 revisions deep on a title.
- Rachael and J. talk about their writing process and give listeners tips for revisions
- How do you keep motivating yourself when you are 30 revisions deep on a title? Rachael and J. tell us the way.
- Rachael and J. discuss how they got their start in self-publishing. They believe you do not get to choose between traditional and self-publishing, “Your choice is to self-publish or pursue traditional publishing.”
- J discuss the origins for his Author on a Train event and why collaborating is similar to “signing a prenup on your first date.”
- Rachael and J. chat about how they battle self-doubt and how they are always striving to improve as a writer.
- Rachael and J. discuss what excites them most today in the world of publishing particularly the “absolute unhindered reach”.
- And more!
Links of Interest
Authors on a Train event: https://theauthorcopilot.com/retreat/
Check our Rachael’s Books: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/search?Query=rachael+herron
Check out J. Thorn’s Books: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/search?Query=J.+Thorn
Rachael Herron is the bestselling author of the novel The Ones Who Matter Most (named an Editor’s Pick by Library Journal), as well as more than twenty other novels and memoirs. Her latest non-fiction is Fast-Draft Your Memoir: Write Your Life Story in 45 Hours. She received her MFA in writing from Mills College, Oakland and she teaches writing in the extension programs at both UC Berkeley and Stanford. She’s proud to be a New Zealander as well as a US citizen, though her Kiwi accent only comes out when she’s very tired. She’s honored to be a member of the NaNoWriMo Writers Board. She is currently a Writer in Residence at Mills College*.
Rachael Herron: https://twitter.com/RachaelHerron
J. Thorn is a Top 100 Most Popular Author in Horror, Science Fiction, Action & Adventure and Fantasy (Amazon Author Rank). He has published two million words and has sold more than 185,000 books worldwide. In March of 2014 Thorn held the #5 position in Horror alongside his childhood idols Dean Koontz and Stephen King (at #4 and #2 respectively). He is an official member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, the Horror Writers Association, and the Great Lakes Association of Horror Writers.
J Thorn website: http://jthorn.net/about-me/
J Thorn Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JThornwriter