In this episode, Chrissy Munroe interviews award-winning author and creative writing instructor Maxwell Alexander Drake. Drake, best known for his fantasy series, The Genesis of Oblivion Saga, chats to us about his writing career, the creation of DrakeU and how he generated a reputation for giving brutal writing advice to aspiring authors. He also discusses being in rebuild mode at this stage in his career and what he is working on next.
- Drake discusses managing expectations and the biggest mistake aspiring authors make when starting out with unrealistic expectations which ultimately causes them to quit writing completely.
- Drake talks about the craft of writing and how “you have to write about a million words before you can write the first word that is going to be sellable”.
- He discusses the industry of creative writing and how it has nothing to do with being creative.
- Drake talks about the mystery that is writing success and how “You will never be successful in the same way as someone else.”
- Chrissy and Drake chat about the necessity of being both a writer and a reader.
- “You as a writer, you write for a circle of readers and you need to be in the center of that circle. You need to be your number 1 fan. There is a limit number of people who will care about your writing.”
- Drake discusses his biggest career mistake when he stopped working on his IP’s in favour of working on jobs offering a paycheque.
- And more!
Links of Interest
Personal Website: https://www.maxwellalexanderdrake.com/
IT: Brutal Breakdown: https://www.drakeu.com/single-post/2018/03/16/IT—A-Drakes-Brutal-Breakdown
Marie Force blog post: https://kobowritinglife.com/2018/04/05/marie-force-building-a-self-publishing-empire/
Maxwell Alexander Drake is an award-winning Science Fiction/Fantasy Novelist, Playwrite, Tie-In Writer, Graphic Novelist, and Writing Instructor. He is best known for his fantasy series, The Genesis of Oblivion Saga.
He teaches Creative Writing all around the world at schools, libraries, writers’ conferences and fan events such as Comic-Con International in San Diego, Gen-Con in Indianapolis, Origins Game Fair in Columbus OH, and was the only author invited to attend the very first Saudi Arabia Comic Con in 2017.
He teaches creative writing classes at writers’ conferences around the word, fan events, and for the Clark County Library District in Las Vegas. You can learn more about his writing lessons, as well as keep up to date on his upcoming projects at his official website, http://www.DrakeU.com.