For our 100th episode, we decided to give our listeners a behind-the-scenes look into Kobo Writing Life and the magic that goes into publishing a new title on Kobo. We follow Sarah Woodbury’s upcoming release The Favored Son, as it makes its way on to the Kobo store and into the libraries of our customers. We also introduce an exciting edition to the KWL podcast, Chrissy Munroe’s newest co-host, Stephanie McGrath!
In this episode, we interview:
- Nalina, the KWL Dev team lead. She discusses the behind the scenes magic that goes into a book reaching the Kobo webstore.
- Laura, our resident Author Engagement Coordinator, talks about her role helping authors on our platform. Whether it’s solving payment problems, helping with promotions or running the KWL social media.
- Shayna our Author Relations and Promotions Strategist is the magician working behind the scenes to help authors sell their books. She goes into detail on how she can help your preorder, as well as the different ways you can get your book more visible on our store.
- Cristina, the CRM Marketing Specialist, talks about how she is in charge of all the emails that go out to our customers. She alerts our customers to new releases and specific new titles that would be of interest to them based on their reading preferences.
- Stephanie, our new co-host and Publisher Operations Coordinator for KWL, talks about how she helps authors with the uploading process for new titles. She also discusses how she makes sure all titles published to the store meet the Kobo requirements.
- Lastly, we interview Sarah Woodbury who discusses her forthcoming release The Favored Son and how she sets up a new release and approaches pricing. She also talks about how self-publishing changed her life and why she decided to keep her titles (over 50 of them!) available on all eBook platforms.
We hoped you enjoy this episode and links to all the books mentioned will be below. Don’t forget to check out Sarah’s new release, available on January 21st!
Links of Interest
Nalina’s Pick: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/hit-refresh
Laura’s Picks: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/the-good-daughter-14 and https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/rookie-move
Shayna’s Pick: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/see-what-i-have-done-2
Cristina’s Pick: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/circe-16
Stephanie’s Pick: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/the-cruel-prince
With two historian parents, Sarah couldn’t help but develop an interest in the past. She went on to get more than enough education herself (in anthropology) and began writing fiction when the stories in her head overflowed and demanded she let them out. While her ancestry is Welsh, she only visited Wales for the first time while in college. She has been in love with the country, language, and people ever since. She even convinced her husband to give all four of their children Welsh names. With over 800,000 books sold, Sarah is the author of 25 novels and 15 novellas. She makes her home in Oregon.
Sarah Woodbury’s latest release: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/the-favored-son-a-gareth-gwen-medieval-mystery
Personal Website: http://www.sarahwoodbury.com/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/sarahwoodburybooks
If you enjoy this podcast and would like to automatically download episodes as they go live – even before the show notes are posted to the Kobo Writing Life website – subscribe to the podcast on iTunes.
Congrats on Episode 100!
What a wonderful episode that I’ll certainly be sharing with writers everywhere.
Great new co-host (replacing that other rambling dude with a fresh and fun new voice – Hi Steph!) creating a delightful dynamic with the two awesome co-hosts.
Wonderful guests – how great to hear from so many of the amazing people behind the scenes at Kobo!
And a fantastic author to spotlight! (Going to pre-order Sarah’s book now!) Kudos, Kobo peeps!
Thank you Mark! You are much missed around here!