The craft and business of writing and self publishing

After six years at Kobo, Mark Lefebvre is leaving his position as Director of Kobo Writing Life in order to pursue other dreams.

Mark built KWL from the ground up starting in 2011, and from the beginning he has focused on two core values: putting authors first, and making KWL the best self-publishing platform in the business. He has dedicated countless hours and energy to KWL, our authors, and our team, and we are incredibly grateful for his efforts to get us to where we are today. Mark’s passion and enthusiasm are in the DNA of every piece of Kobo Writing Life, and our team is fiercely determined to carry on his legacy of supporting our amazing community.

“It is always difficult to leave a place and the people that you admire, respect and cherish,” Mark said. “Kobo hasn’t just been a workplace for the past six years but has, in many ways, been my family. I feel confident that Christine Munroe and the fantastic KWL team will continue to put authors first in delivering the world’s best direct-to-retailer publishing experience.”

Mark and Christine, Senior Manager of KWL, have been working together to prepare for this transition. As the global self-publishing market evolves, this is a natural moment for KWL to grow into its next phase of development, helping more authors reach readers around the world.

“Working with Mark has been a privilege,” Christine said, “and we will always be grateful for the trust, wisdom, and support he’s shown our team and authors. Please join me in taking time to thank him and wish him all the very best.”

You can follow Mark’s next adventures on Twitter @MarkLeslie – in typical Mark fashion, he invites you to share a link to a book you recently reviewed on Kobo  😉

39 Responses to “Thank you, Mark”

1. angelaackerman1

Mark, you are an incredible man of passion and tireless advocate for authors, and I wish you success in all that you do. Thanks for everything! 🙂

• Mark Leslie

Thanks, Angela. It has always been a pleasure. And thank YOU for the amazing resources that you continue to produce that make a writer’s life so much easier. 🙂

2. Colleen Cross

So sorry to hear you are leaving Kobo, Mark! I really appreciate everything you’ve done for authors like me. I wish you great success in your new adventure!

• Mark Leslie

Thank you, Colleen! It’s sad to leave, Kobo, and it was a pleasure getting to work with you. Will enjoy watching your continued success!

3. Maggie Lynch

Mark, you have been a huge part of my writing life with Kobo from the beginning. I remember the first big Kobo launch at my local bookstore in Oregon. That bookstore is still thriving. I remember all the exciting ideas you and Christine came up with to help authors understand Kobo and be able to use the platform more effectively. You will be missed.

Whatever your next adventure, I’m sure you will be successful. You are that rare combination of a creative soul with a business brain, and a hard working caring heart. That will always take you far and provide you with opportunities and success wherever your dreams may be.

• Mark Leslie

Thanks, Maggie. I remember that event quite fondly. Christine and I were talking about it just last week, and I had also discussed it with a few of the more local writers at the Oregon Coast Pro Writers Workshop – citing that beautiful indie bookstore (LOVE Jan’s Paperbacks – http://www.janspaperbacks.com/) as one of the most amazing bookstores I’ve been to (and, as former President of Canadian Booksellers Association, I’ve been to a LOT of bookstore)

Thank you for being a part of that amazing evening and thanks for your very kind words. It was truly a pleasure getting to work with you. 🙂

4. David

Wishing you continued success Mark in your new adventure! Sandy and I appreciate all the assistance you provided for us over the years. You made publishing our story easy! And easy…is good.

• Mark Leslie

Thank you, David. Yes, easy is certainly good. It was wonderful getting to know you both and connect you with trusted partners of Kobo who helped launch your book. Big hugs to you and Sandy!

5. blinkthebestseller

Wishing you continued success in your new adventure Mark! Thank you so much for all your enormous past help over the years. You made publishing our story easy…and easy is good.

• Mark Leslie

Thanks, again, David. Delighted to help the book BLINK become a reality – of course, you did all the hard work.

6. Janet Sketchley

Thank you, Mark, and all the best in what’s to come. Really appreciated your in-person teaching at Write Canada a few years ago.

• Mark Leslie

Thank you, Janet. I quite enjoyed being a part of the Write Canada community. Thanks for providing a gathering place where writers can connect with one another and with industry folks. Good things happen when people make that possible. 🙂

7. patriciasands

Mark, after finally connecting with you at NINC this year, I’m saddened to read you are leaving Kobo. The advice you shared with me is definitely a big part of my future plans with Kobo and I thank you for that. All the best with your new adventures which I will follow with interest. Best wishes!

• Mark Leslie

Thanks you, Patricia. It was wonderful to connect at NINC. Glad the advice was helpful and looking forward to watching you continue to grow your global presence taking advantage of the awesomeness of Kobo and Kobo Writing Life. 🙂

8. Richard Murray

Thank you MArk side Christine. I really love Kobo in terms of how they structure their activities. I hope the best qualities remain and the way you modulated administrators prove it may:)

• Mark Leslie

Thanks, Richard. I can say, without hyperbole, that the Kobo Writing Life team has never been more dynamic and set up for success. Christine, a wonderful leader and author-centric in her approach, now leads a group of incredibly talented and dynamic folks who I have been proud to call colleagues. They will help talk KWL to bold new heights and, as an author, I’m thrilled to be taking advantage of that.

• Mark Leslie

Thank you, Barb. And thanks for sharing great international and multi-language insights with KWL authors. Here’s hoping that you continue to share those great tips and perspective on both this English site as well as the wonderful Italian site (www.kobowritinglife.it) that Sandra oversees. 🙂

9. C F Reynolds

Best of luck, Mark. You have been so helpful and encouraging. All the very best, Catherine

• Mark Leslie

Thanks, Catherine. Keep on writing great material that keep Kobo customers in so many countries around the world delighted.

10. Dale Long

Your talk at the Writers Community of Durham Region was the impetus of ID Press Publishing. Thank you for providing that spark. looking forward to what is on the horizon from you. 😉

• Mark Leslie

Thanks, Dale. Delighted to have provided the spark. Of course, you and the others who made ID Press happen did all the heavy lifting. And nice work, too. 🙂

11. susanfaw

All the best on your next endevours, Mark, and I sure hope it includes lots of indie publishing ;p We are here if you need us!

• Mark Leslie

Thank-you, Susan. That’s one of the things I adore about the author community – it is so amazingly supportive. An author is never truly alone. 🙂

12. Anthony St. Clair

Mark, it was so good to meet you in October. Glad you are moving on to a new adventure that calls you—good on ya, and thanks for all your work building up KWL and making sure it’ll be in good hands.

• Mark Leslie

Thank you, Anthony. It was fantastic to connect with you at the Oregon Coast Master Class workshops. Always a pleasure to bond over writing and beer talk. 🙂

13. Arlene McFarlane

Wow! You will be missed, Mark, but all the best to you!! Could you share who to take my case to now that you will no longer be there? You had been so responsive, but I’m feeling in limbo.Thanks, and many good wishes!!

• Kobo Writing Life

Hi Arlene – Christine Munroe is now leading the KWL team and happy to work with you 1:1. If you have an urgent question, you can always get in touch with us at writinglife@kobo.com and a real person on our Author Care team will get back to you ASAP. We are working hard to ensure all of our wonderful authors continue to feel supported.

• Mark Leslie

See how good the KWL team is, Arlene? They already responded with pretty much the thing I was going to tell you. Christine heads up the team and is a marvelous leader, and the entire team is filled with the best possible people to care for authors. You’ll be in exceptional hands.

14. Shawneda Crout

I remember meeting you at now defunct indie publishing conference in South Carolina. Your kindness and support impacted my books with a boost of sales and inspired me to commit to staying wide. Thanks for all you for indie authors. Hope you meet success, loyal readers, and amazing people to share in your future books. You’re an inspiration. Thank you for your time building KWL.

• Mark Leslie

Thank you, Shawneda. That’s very kind of you to say. That was indeed a fun conference. (It’s the first time I met Bryan and Jim from The Sell More Books Show in person) Glad to hear that you had a boost of sales, and hoping that you continue to find new global readers through Kobo and other retail sites. 🙂

15. Episode 190 – Mark From Kobo, Buk, and Automatic Email Sequences | Sell More Books Show

[…] Links: The Sell More Books Show Summit Rebel Song by Amanda J. Clay Cowgirl, Unexpectedly by Vicki Tharp Kiss Kill: Book 1 in THE GIRL IN THE BOOK SERIES by Dan Noble Tip #1: Use Your Indoor Voice Tip #2:Trending Now Tip #3:: Sequence with a Smile Tip #4: Landing on Your Face News #5: Turn to Page 394 (1) News #5: Turn to Page 394 (2) News #5: Turn to Page 394 (3) News #4:Trending No More News #3: Streaming Nightmare News #2: Copy That News #1: I Hope You Had the Time of Your Kobo Writing Life […]