A blog about writing and self publishing

Save Your Readers 50% On KWL Titles–On Us!

Attention all Kobo Writing Life Authors!

On the heels of our successful 50% off promotion in August–which was fully supported by us–we’re excited to announce we’ll be holding a second 50% off sale.

As a refresher, this 50% off promotion will be valid on all titles published through KWL. It won’t cost you anything and will not be taken out of your royalties.

Customers will be able to redeem 50% off of any title published by KWL using the promo codes below an unlimited number of times—so please, let your readers and fans know about this incredible opportunity to stack up on eBooks while they can! Unlike last time, the sale runs in different dates by territory, and each territory has it’s own promo code. See below for the full details.

Canada
October 28th – October 31st
Promo Code: CA50SALE

United States/Australia/New Zealand
October 27th – October 30th
Promo Code: GET50SALE

United Kingdom
October 30th – November 2nd
Promo Code: UK50SALE

Promo code is valid for 50% off select eBook purchases from this list. Discount will be confirmed at checkout. Offer valid from October 28, 2015 at 12:00 AM EST through October 31, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST. This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer or promotion and cannot be used to adjust amount paid on previous purchases. Promo code must be entered at time of purchase to qualify for this discount. Discounts cannot be applied nor the discount value refunded once a purchase is complete. Rakuten Kobo Inc. reserves the right to change or cancel this offer at any time without notice.

56 Responses to “Save Your Readers 50% On KWL Titles–On Us!”

1. LaurenRoyal

Thanks for the heads-up–this should be exciting for readers (and us)!

2. ljcharles

This is fabulous. May we simply share the codes with our readers, or do we need to “enter” our books in the sale?

3. 50% Off on Kobo | M.H. Lee

[…] is putting all of their KWL titles on 50% off sale for three days only.  See the link to figure out which dates and the promo code to use for your location.  It’s started already […]

• Kobo Writing Life

Unfortunately not, it’s just the territories mentioned.

4. Karin

Hi there. I sell ebooks in Portuguese language and my main market is Brazil and Portugal (but I’m based in the UK). Can my readers in Brazil or Portugal have the 50% discount? Do they need to go on the Kobo UK website to buy and enter the UK code? Or can they go to the US KOBO website (and use the US code?). LEt me know and I’ll advertise this promotion. Or can they buy the ebook from Livraria Cultura website? Thanks a lot!

• Kobo Writing Life

Hi Karin, the sale is only eligible in the Kobo store and in the territories listed above.

5. Kobo Offers Readers A Fabulous Deal on Select Titles | Janmarie Anello

[…] The only thing better than shopping for a new book (or many books, as the case may be) is getting a great bargain on those books! So I’m excited to share the news that Kobo is having a 4-day only, 50% off sale on SELECT** titles. The dates of the sale vary by territory, and not all books are included. Please see this article from Kobo for specific details. […]

6. Wayne Anderson

Kobo provides a great service to both authors and readers alike.

7. Timm Wenger

I recommend to everyone that you test this promo code as a new customer before announcing it to your customers.

This sounds like a good deal, except it took me more than half an hour (and time chatting with an agent) to figure out, “since there is an ongoing promotion for new customers, you will not be able to use the mentioned 50 promo code.”

I decided to test the GET50SALE as a customer before I announced it, and I’m glad I did because I will not subject our customers to the difficulties of using this site. First of all, customers can’t enter coupon codes until after they enter their payment information. Why would the developers not allow customers to see the discount early in the checking out process? Customers are leery of giving out credit card information until they know the amount they owe. When I encountered problems, the agent said I had to download Chrome, another hurdle (or at least an extra step) for some of our customers. When I finally found the field for the coupon code (not where I expected it), I couldn’t enter GET50SALE, because there was a “new customer” promo already applied, which could not be changed. If our readers (almost all new to Kobo) wanted to use the GET50SALE code, they would first need to use the new customer promo code, check out, and start over to purchase more titles. This is too much work, even for 50% off.

8. Glenn Cheney

If any of my books were on the list, I’d be MORE than glad to participate.

Or are my books on the list? I can’t tell. Where’s the “select list”? And why did n’t someone inform me about this opportunity by email?

If by any chance they let me offer my friends 50% off books I have written, you an be sure I’d contact several hundred friends right away. but I’d have to know how to direct my friends to my titles.

Kobo has to have the most incompetent marketing people I have ever witnessed, except for myself. If you don’t believe me, find a way to send them a message offering to buy 500 Kobos. You probably won’t find a way, and even if you did, they would never answer.

Good luck, Kobo. From what I’ve heard, you have the superior digital reader. Unfortunately, almost nobody’s ever heard of you.

Still, I thank you for publishing my books.

Glenn Cheney

• Kobo Writing Life

Hi Glenn, all KWL titles are eligible for this sale. There is nothing you need to do on your side except let your readers know! For further alerts like this, please follow this blog. You can also see the notification directly in your account.

9. Don Kettle

Thanks for the heads up, indeed. I must say, it would have been much more welcome a week or two ahead of the earliest date on the schedule. As it is, getting this information today (October 29) gives me no advanced planning and no opportunity to let potential readers know in a timely manner. Yet another strike against Kobo. I have been a Kobo customer for several years, through two eReaders. As a Kobo author, I have had no success to speak of and try as I may, I can find no way to contact anyone about participating in special promotions and whatever to help improve the success situation. I’m sorry, but Kindle, for all their faults, is far superior when it comes to working with authors. I am Canadian; I wanted to work closely with other Canadians in the business; Kobo is HQed in Canada; I thought it would be good to work together. Alas, my heart is heavy with the knowledge that Kobo cares not. It may well be time to pull the plug.

• Kobo Writing Life

Hi Don, apologies for not letting your know in more time but I would recommend following this blog to ensure you get these updates as they come in. Please send writinglife@kobo.com an email about promotional opportunities. Our team will point you in the right direction.

• Don Kettle

Hi Writing Life blogger. (It would certainly be nice to have a name to put to this.) I certainly would have followed this blog from the get-go had I known it existed. Note that I have sent a couple of inquiries to writinglife@kobo.com and I have never heard back from them. I think we authors and publishers who have chosen to partner with Kobo have a right to expect that Kobo would be more proactive and more directly in contact with us. We shouldn’t have to subscribe to a blog or write repeatedly about how to participate in sales or promotions. If something really good is in the works, we should get an email, well in advance to allow us to plan and respond.As a self-publishing author, I do expect to have to promote and advertise, but it seems, unlike other companies with whom I have sponsored, Kobo has never sent any word of what they are doing, or that I have an opportunity to participate in a special or event or whatever. Nor does the website adequately offer any author/publisher resources to connect with Kobo. I am sadly too disappointed with Kobo and, after this latest kick in the backside, I’m afraid I’ll work directly with those who are proactive with all their authors/publishers. So if Kobo decides to revisit its writing life business plan, become author/publshier-centric and proactive in dealing with us, I’ll just work closely with those who do. Sorry to sound bitter, but once bitten, twice shy.

• Kobo Writing Life

This sale is only offered in certain territories. We hope to include France in the future so keep an eye out!

10. Jai Baidell

Thank you, Kobo, a wonderful initiative. I would have loved to promote both Kobo and my books.
    Unfortunately I did not receive any notice of this until just a few hours ago, 30 October, the last day of the promotion for this territory, rather disappointing as it is too late to make use of it.

• Kobo Writing Life

Be sure to follow our blog! This is the first place we announce all our news.

• Heidi Garrett

Hi, thank you for extending this sale. At first it was just three days? One for each country and only a specific list of books? But now it’s for all countries, for all books, through November 2nd? Will spread the word, just don’t want to tell everyon that if I’ve misunderstood!

• Kobo Writing Life

Hi Heidi, please see the post for more details. It’s running on different dates in different territories.

11. Jan Springer Erotic Romance Author

This sale is very cool! Thanks for throwing it. I’m letting my readers know and have also set up a link for them for my books that are eligible as per your instructions above in comments. Thanks for that tip Kobo Writing Life. Very much appreciated. 🙂

jan, always looking for ways to grow her Kobo readers 🙂

12. Maria (BearMountainBooks)

Thanks for this sale–it was very popular the first time around and has been again. I blogged it and also talked about it on my facebook bargains page!!! I very much appreciate the opportunity!!!

Maria Schneider

13. Ashley

I would love to share this great sale with my readers, although how do I know if my ebook qualifies for this discount? I tried to look for my title through the list provided and it did not come up, why is that?

• Kobo Writing Life

Hi, all KWL titles are eligible for this promotion.