At last, the wait is over and our judging panel has reached a decision on the Open Day Writing Competition…
After months of reading and enjoying the high standard of entries for our competition, we’re delighted to announce the Winner and Runner Up.
First prize of a publishing package (ebook and paperback) goes to Edward James for
The Frozen Dream
After lecturing in social policy, working as a civil servant in London and Brussels and serving as a consultant to governments as diverse as Russia, Kyrghystan and Albania, Edward James is now a Review Editor for the Historical Novel Society and writes about the Age of Discovery. Find out more on http://busywords.wordpress.com/.
Runner Up prize of a Kobo Aura H2O waterproof e-reader goes to Sarah Channing-Wright for
The Angels of Islington
Sarah Channing-Wright was born in Devon. A qualified graphic designer, publisher and Egyptologist, she now lives in Cambridgeshire, in a small house with a spiral staircase. She is obsessed with cats but sadly doesn’t own one.
Competition judge Shayna Krishnasamy said, “I thoroughly enjoyed judging this competition,” and Sanjida O’Connell agreed, adding, “Best of luck to all the participating authors in their future writing careers.” Helen Hart commented, “It was a challenge to select a winner, however Edward James’s manuscript ultimately triumphed with its intricate blend of action, romance, intrigue, and atmospheric historical detail.”
The Winners say
Edward James was astonished and thrilled. “It is a great privilege and I know that I had some talented rivals to whom I wish every success,” while runner up Sarah Channing-Wright said, “This is wonderful news! Thanks so much. I’m amazed and proud to have come this far.”
If you missed the shortlist and the finalists, then please visit our earlier news story here.
With Thanks to…
- Kobo Writing Life for sponsoring the ebook edition and providing a platform for its publication
- Diego Marano of Kobo Writing Life who suggested the competition and whose enthusiasm was infectious
- Dale Burgess of Berforts for allowing us to offer a paperback edition
- The SilverWood editorial team for reading and reviewing entries
- The writers for entering the competition and patiently waiting to hear the results
- Shayna, Sanjida and Helen for providing a professional and insightful judging panel
- Everyone who shared and posted across social media to raise awareness of the competition
Well done, everyone!
The winning entry will now be prepared for publication later in the year.