In the latest episode of the Kobo Writing Life Podcast, we welcome NYT and USA Today bestselling author Diane Capri. KWL Content Manager Christina Potter and US Manager Christine Munroe speak with Diane – who offered jokingly to change her name to Christine for the purposes of this episode – about her daily writing life, the benefits of collaboration and mentorship, strategies for selling well on Kobo, and more.
Tune in to hear about:
- The value of being part of writing organizations. Diane has been a member of Mystery Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, Romance Writers of America, and others, for many years. Diane talks about how she joined many groups when she began writing and how these groups of allowed her to receive feedback on writing and upcoming projects. They are also a great place to connect with new writers and share information.
- How to find a writing schedule that works for you. Diane’s advice? Try everything – it is the best way to refine your process.
- The importance of working closely with retailers and taking advantage of different programs that they offer. She specifically discusses Kobo’s First Free in Series page as a strategy to find new readers. She also highlights that making her titles available through all retailers has been key to her success, and that exclusive programs have not worked for her. By their nature they exclude potential readers who find eBooks through other platforms.
- Diane talks about collaboration and her author collective, The Twelve. This group worked together and released the incredibly successful DEADLY DOZEN boxed set. She discusses the process of putting the boxed set together, highlighting pricing strategy and PR efforts to ensure the book was accessible to as many readers as possible. The ultimate goal of the group: do things that haven’t been done before. Read Joanna Penn’s blog post about DEADLY DOZEN’s success here!
- There has never been a better time to be a reader and writer. One of things Diane enjoys the most is that readers who may not have been able to find her books in print can easily purchase them around the world as an eBook.
- Diane’s relationship with her fans. Connecting with them is one of the most exciting and rewarding parts of being an author.
- A sneak peek of what Diane is working on next!
NYT and USA Today bestselling author Diane Capri writes mystery, thriller and suspense for the same reason she reads: for fun, excitement, to find out what happens, why people do what they do, and how to bring justice to an unjust world. Her books are translated in twenty territories. She comes to writing after a successful legal career and is married to her college sweetheart. She loves her snowbird existence preferring perpetual summer migrating from Florida to Michigan each year.
Pre-order HIT THE ROAD JACK, coming out September 4, on Kobo!
Get LICENSED TO THRILL for free.
If you enjoy this podcast and would like to automatically capture episodes as they go live -even before the show notes are posted to the Kobo Writing Life blog – subscribe to the RSS feed via your favourite pod-capturing platform (such as iTunes) using the RSS feed link: RSS feed for Kobo Writing Life Podcast